Stainmore summit sign, Darlington North Road, 15 November 2009 Stainmore summit was the highest on an English main line. It was on the trans-Pennine South Durham & Lancashire Union Rly line opened in 1861 by the Stockton & Darlington to carry Durham coke west and Cumberland iron ore and pig iron east. The line ran from Barnard Castle over Stainmore to Kirkby Stephen, where it divided, with branches running to Tebay and to Penrith. At Tebay it joined the London & North Western's Crewe - Carlisle line, from which it gained access to the Furness Rly to Barrow. At Penrith it joined (also via the LNWR) the Cockermouth, Keswick and Penrith Rly, from which it gained access to the raiways of west Cumberland. The Stainmore line closed in 1962.
Head of Steam museum Darlington photos2009