Welcome to the Eden Valley Railway! 9 June 2007. The locally promoted Eden Valley Rly opened in 1862. It ran from Kirkby Stephen East, on the Stainmore route from south Durham opened in 1861, via Appleby East to join the LNWR's Shap main line at Eden Valley Junction. Later the Eden Valley had direct access to the Cockermouth, Keswick & Penrith Rly when a connection was built from Eamont Junction, between Eden Valley Junction and Penrith. The resulting trans-Pennine route was busy with mineral traffic for many years, mainly coke from south Durham to the iron and steel works on the west Cumberland coast. When it opened, the Eden Valley Rly was taken over by the Stockton & Darlington, which merged into the mighty North Eastern Rly the following year (1863).
Eden Valley Railway photos