London & North Western Rly No 5318, Embsay & Bolton Abbey Rly, Sun 25 August 2013 1. Directors' saloon built by the mighty LNWR at Wolverton in 1913. From left to right the coach comprises an observation compartment, board room, toilet, galley and observation compartment. NB the six wheel bogies, and the double doors and steps for alighting at lineside. The LNWR was one of the big four railway companies in Britain before the 1923 grouping. (The others were the GWR, Midland and North Eastern.) They were also amongst the biggest British companies of any description. The directors would have travelled in serious style, and their train would often have comprised just the saloon and a specially groomed loco. But the famously frugal LNWR fitted corridor connections at either end of the coach so it could be attached to service trains. Its LYR equivalent has no such provision.
Stately Trains photos Embsay Railway2013LNWR 5318