Former LNWR station and hotel, North Wall, Dublin, 10 May 2012. Looking east along the Liffey. The station (nearer) and hotel are the red brick buildings at left. The North Wall quay used to be Dublin's port, from which ferries sailed to Britain. The London & North Western Railway ran a prestige route to Holyhead, from where its trains (including the Irish Mail) ran to Euston. Trains ran from its North Wall passenger and goods station (opened 1877) onto the Irish rail network. The passenger station was only used for boat trains. The hotel opened in 1884. In 1922, Holyhead passenger services were transferred to Dun Laoghaire, although railway-owned ships continued to call at North Wall for cattle and cargo. Other companies also continued to run passenger services from North Wall, The hotel also closed in 1922, and has been used for offices by the LMS, CIE and Iarnrod Eireann. The ship is the preserved Cobh tender Cill Airne (= Killarney), now a restaurant. Today's Dublin port is at the mouth of the Liffey, where a ferry can just be seen in the far distance at right.
Dublin North Wall stationLNWRLondon North Western Railway