Kinning Park station, Glasgow Underground, 11 May 1974 1. The Subway is a 6.5 mile, four-foot gauge circular railway. It was opened in 1896 with cable haulage. In 1935 it was electrified using a third rail system. There was a separate electricity supply for carriage lighting; its rails can be seen attached to the wall at right. Carriages had doors only on the side away from this supply. The original carriages as seen here remained in use until modernisation in the late 1970s. Photo by Les Tindall.