Low Gill Viaduct, 21 June 2010 2. The viaduct used to carry the LNWR's 1861 branch from Low Gill to Ingleton, where it met a line from Clapham opened 12 years earlier by the 'other' North Western Rly. but closed in 1850. The 'little' North Western subsequently became part of of the Midland Rly, deadly rival of the LNWR. The Midland reopened the line to Ingleton in 1861 to meet the new LNWR branch in hopes of establishing through services to Carlisle and Scotland. The LNWR would have none of it, and eventually the Midland was driven to build its own line - the Settle & Carlisle. Opened in 1876, the S & C reduced the Ingleton route to branch line status, although it occasionally carried diverted traffic, notably in 1947 when the S & C was blocked by snow for several weeks. Regular passenger services finished in 1954, but school specials at the beginning and end of term continued into the 1960s. Goods services finished in 1965, and the line was lifted in 1967.