Lost line to Arnside: site of Hincaster Junction, looking north, Wed 6 April 2011. The WCML is at right. At left is the embankment which used to carry the branch through Sandside to Arnside, on the Furness Rly's Carnforth - Barrow line. The Furness opened the branch in 1876 as a short cut for coke traffic from south Durham to Barrow, avoiding reversal at Carnforth. It also carried Furness Rly trains to Kendal, reached by running rights over the LNWR. The Hincaster - Sandside section closed in 1963; the Sandside - Arnside section in 1971, having survived for stone traffic from Sandside quarry.