Queen of Scots vintage train 1: Caledonian Rly observation saloon No 41 (99052), Carnforth, Wed 12 November 2008 1. The LNWR built this coach in 1892 at Wolverton as West Coast Joint Stock No 484, a 50' 6" kitchen third mounted on six-wheel bogies. It was used on Anglo-Scottish services until 1905, when it was withdrawn from the WCJS and allocated to the Caledonian. The Caley rebuilt it with a new roof in place of the original clerestory, and a new underframe and bogies. In 1933 it became LMS engineer's saloon No 45018, and in 1955 it was fitted with the Gresley bogies seen here. Following collision damage it was rebuilt again in 1960 as an observation saloon with a DMU-type end. Little if anything now remains of the original Wolverton product. The coach was used on the Royal Scotsman between 1985 and 1989, and then on the unsuccessful Queen of Scots in 1990, since when it has seen little use. It still carries the Queen of Scots name above its observation end.